The final part in Pretty in Podcast’s sub-series inspired by The Joy of Sex. This instalment deals with the 1984 release, The Joy of Sex, written by Kathleen Rowell and JJ Salter, directed by Martha Coolidge, and starring Michelle Meyrink, Colleen Camp, Ernie Hudson, and Christopher Lloyd.
Teenager Leslie Hindenberg, mistakenly believing she has just weeks to live, decides she will lose her virginity before she dies. Meanwhile, hormone-crazed Alan Holt pursues some sex for himself, with predictable results. (from IMDB)
- Cameron Dye … Alan Holt.
- Michelle Meyrink … Leslie Hindenberg
- Colleen Camp … Liz Sampson
- Ernie Hudson … Mr. Porter
- Lisa Langlois … Melanie
- Christopher Lloyd … Coach Hindenberg
There was no official soundtrack release for the Joy of Sex. The sparse score was written and performed by Bishop Holiday, Scott Lipsker and Harold Payne. A 12″ was released to promote the film, featuring “Experience” by Roach, backed with “More Experience (Extended Dance Version),” an extended mix of the film’s theme. If you want to build your own soundtrack, here’s the only songs on the soundtrack that have seen release. (Though several uncredited Holiday, Lipsker and Payne songs including “I’m a Hot Blooded Man” would reappear in other films including Summer Rental, The Whoopee Boys, and That Was Then… This Is Now)
- “Experience” – Roach (from Experience: from the Paramount Movie The Joy of Sex. 1984)
- “You Never Call” – Joey Harris & The Speedsters (from Joey Harris & The Speedsters, 1983)
- “Don’t Say Love” – Joey Harris & The Speedsters (from Joey Harris & The Speedsters, 1983)
- “Made for Each Other” – Joey Harris & The Speedsters (from Joey Harris & The Speedsters, 1983)
Artwork is adapted from the original poster artwork. Background includes a photo by texturejunky.com. The image below is a pin-up of actress Colleen Camp, who has appeared in Valley Girl, Clue, Die Hard: With a Vengeance, American Hustle, and countless others. (included merely to drive people to the page.)
- Beck, Marilyn. “Penny Marshall being replaced as film director.” Democrat and Chronicle. December 30, 1982.
- Big Beat. “Alan, would you light my Bunsen burner?” Amazon.com review. May 18, 2010.
- Box Office Mojo. “The Joy of Sex. Boxofficemojo.com.
- Comfort, Nicholas. “My Dad would have loved all this Joy of Sex.” Independent. August, 2, 2014.
- Ford, Luke. “Producer Frank Konigsberg – The Joy Of Sex.“ From LukeFord.net. April 2 and 18, 2002.
- Kickin’ it Old School – 80s Pop Culture. “Back to the 80s: Interview with director Martha Coolidge.” via officialmarthacoolidge.com
- London, Michael. “Joy of Sex’s Strained Bedfellows.” Los Angeles Times. March 30, 1984.
- Madigan, Nick. “Gary Nardino dead at 62.” Variety.com. Feb 1, 1998.
- Rowell, Kathleen. Email to Francesco Borseti, January 16, 2013.
- Sex Tape Red Band Trailer via YouTube.
- Scott, Vernon. “Telling Dad About Nude Scene Tough Role for Actress to Play. The Pittsburgh Press. United Press International. August 24, 1983.
- Thomas, Bob. “Lampoon to Spoof Hollywood on Film.” Associated Press. Star-News. Mar 1, 1981.
- Thomas, Bob. “Director Insists Joy of Sex not a raunchy skin comedy.” Associated Press. The Post and The Evening Times. Associated Press. Aug 3, 1984 (reprinted from July 1983).
- Uricchio, Marylynn. “Joy of Sex movie is unhappily terrible. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. August 4, 1984.
- Wolf, William. “New York Calling.” Asbury Park Press. May 8, 1983.
With sound effects by MasterSoundEffects, Xnxmx, and BoilingSand, Facemusic, Iantm, Panzen, from freesound.org.