Part of Pretty in Podcast’s series inspired by the works of John Hughes. The Joy of Sex has a history far too long to keep in just one episode, so I broke it up into three parts. John Hughes part of the story doesn’t come in until the second part of the series. Instead, I set up The Joy of Sex‘s early development as a movie.This episode has some explicit content, I talk at a faster rate than normal, and I fake accents, to get it all in under a half hour. How can I breathe????!!!! This episode also talks about The Joy of Sex: a Gourmet Guide to Lovemaking, Charles Grodin’s Movers & Shakers (1985), Dudley Moore, and the hardcore pornographic film Deep Throat.
Artwork is adapted from poster artwork for Movers and Shakers (artist unknown).
- Bart, Peter. Infamous Players: A tale of the movies, the Mob (and sex).
- Blank, Ed. “Dudley Moore Uneasy After a String of Flops.” The Pittsburgh Press – Dec 4, 1984
- Blumenthal, Ralph. “Porno Chic: Hard-core grows fashionable-and very profitable.” New York Times, January 21st, 1973.
- Comfort, Nicholas. “My Dad would have loved all this Joy of Sex.” Independent. August, 2, 2014.
- ed. Playboy. “”Sexual Behaviour in the 1970s.” Playboy, Volume 20, no. 10 October, 1973.
- Ebert, Roger. March 6, 1973
- Grodin, Charles. It Would Be So Nice if You Weren’t Here
- Hebblethwaite, Cordelia. “How the Joy of Sex was illustrated.” BBC World Service. October 26, 2011.
- Hunt, Morton. “”Sexual Behaviour in the 1970s.” Playboy, Volume 20, no. 10 October, 1973.
- Juffer, Jane. At Home with Pornography: Women, Sex, and Everyday Life. NYU Press, Jul 1, 1998
- Levy, Ariel. “Doing It!” The New Yorker. January 5, 2009.
- Rayner, Claire. “Alex Comfort.” Guardian Obituaries. March 28, 2000.
- Sullivan, Barbara. The Politics of Sex: Prostitution and Pornography Since in Australia 1945. Cambridge University Press, Sep 7, 1997
- Tyler, Megan. Selling Sex Short: The Pornographic and Sexological Construction of Women’s Sexuality in the West. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, May 25, 2011.
- Vaughn, Stephen. Freedom and Entertainment: Rating the Movies in an Age of New Media. Cambridge University Press, 2006
- a few more TK…
With sound effects by Juanicotolengo, Panzen, Raymonster, and Xnxmx from freesound.org.